I Didn’t Learn That in School!
When you were in chiropractic college, did you miss that class on documenting for medical necessity? How about that coursework on coding for maximum reimbursement? Or basically, how about anything at all to do with how to run your business in this highly regulated healthcare environment?
Yes? That’s because there wasn’t much offered, if anything. Chiropractic schools turn out some of the best doctors in the country – healers who excel at holistic care, thorough examinations, and treatment plans with great outcomes. But because time limits curricula, chiropractic education focuses (understandably so) on anatomy, techniques, diagnosis, and treatment. The unfortunate but unavoidable consequence is that most chiropractors never learn about advanced documentation, Medicare, compliance, and the business side of running a practice. This leaves them stranded and confused simply because no one had the time to teach them.
That’s why many doctors come to us under one of three circumstances:
- They find themselves in the middle of an audit;
- They know someone else who’s in the middle of an audit; or
- They’re worried that they are going to be audited.
And with records requests and subsequent audits on the rise, they’re right to be concerned.
Just as you wouldn’t launch into treatment without evaluating the patient, the first thing we recommend when seeking proactive improvement is to evaluate your practice’s current documentation. Here are just a few of the typical things to look for:
- A pattern of down-coding: It’s just as bad to under-report the actual treatment you provided as to fudge in the other direction.
- A pattern of up-coding: While you may actually treat all five regions at every visit, it’s unlikely all of that is medically necessary. Even if out of ignorance rather than greed, it’s bad news.
- Missing information: Whether the date of service or onset is wrong, or the doctor’s signature is missing or incorrect, it’s risky business to rush the process.
Documentation issues, paperwork piles, Medicare rules and regulations, and proper coding are all integral to running a safe and successful practice. It’s time to bring the practice up to speed not only because it brings peace of mind, but it’s the best way we know to increase revenue, decrease risk, and improve the bottom line.
A healthy body functions optimally. A healthy practice does the same.
Happy New Year Sale | January 8 - 14, 2018
At KMC University we have solutions to fit every practice, personality, and pocketbook. Among them are our durably printed Quick Reference Tools.
Save big on this 4-pack bundle of Quick Reference Tools during our January flash sale. Regularly $312.00 for members ($348.00 for non-members), get yours for just $150.00 from January 8, 2018 – January 14, 2018!
You’ll receive one of each:
- Chiropractic Medicare Quick Reference Tool (QRT): A step-by-step roadmap, intended to provide doctors and team members with a high-level overview of each stage in the journey of a Medicare patient, both clinically and financially, through your office.
- Chiropractic Documentation Quick Reference Tool (QRT): Go-to guide to the most important aspects of chiropractic documentation requirements for both initial and subsequent visits.
- Billing and Coding Quick Reference Tool (QRT): Contains the most commonly used E/M, timed treatment, therapy, and HCPCS codes, as well as modifiers used in most chiropractic offices and more.
- ICD-10 Quick Reference Tool (QRT): Contains the most commonly used ICD-10 diagnosis codes used in most chiropractic offices. Quick tips, hints, a glossary, code descriptions and other guidelines are sprinkled throughout this invaluable and easy-to-use tool.
Or to purchase your choice of QRTs separately at a lesser discount, call (855) 832-6562 then press “0” and ask for the Solutions department.
Become a member of our Basic Library Program to enjoy member-only discounts on products and services throughout the year. The Library program is a robust resource that helps you run all aspects of your practice. Along with access, you are assigned a dedicated Account Manager to assist you with all you do within the Library. This is a great value for $99 per month.